Personal information collected by Rafiki Mwema Incorporated (Rafiki) is protected by Australian privacy legislation. Personal information is any information or an opinion that identifies you and includes sensitive and health information.
Rafiki complies with the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 in handling personal information collected from clients/beneficiaries, business partners, donors, members of the public and Rafiki staff (including members, volunteers, employees, delegates, candidates for volunteer work and prospective employees).
The Statement is available in hard copy on request. It contains information about Rafiki’s responsibilities, your rights, the information that may be collected by Rafiki, and how it would be used.
The primary purpose for collecting personal information from individuals is to provide services to vulnerable children, including planning, funding, monitoring and evaluating our services. The kind of information we collect will depend on your relationship with Rafiki (e.g. as a client, donor, business partner, employee, volunteer, member or online user of the Rafiki website).
What information is collected and how?
The type of information collected and retained by Rafiki includes personal information about:
- job applicants
- people receiving a service from Rafiki
- other people who come into contact with Rafiki
Personal information collected by Rafiki includes (without limitation):
- names and addresses
- medical information about people receiving a service from Rafiki
- bank account details or credit card information (for direct debit of donations)
- telephone numbers
- email addresses
- information from previous employers
Rafiki collects personal information about an individual by way of forms filled out, face-to-face meetings and interviews, telephone calls and email.
When collecting information, only information necessary for the activities of Rafiki will be collected and recorded. Information given in confidence will remain confidential.
Yes – cookies are pieces of information that will be sent by Rafiki when you log onto our website. These will be stored on your computer’s hard drive, to allow us to recognise you as a user when you next visit.
You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is sent. Each browser is different, so check the “help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
Personal information provided by other people
In some circumstances, Rafiki may receive personal information about an individual from a third party, e.g. references or referrals. This information forms part of the personal information described in this statement.
Use of Personal Information
Rafiki will collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for purposes including (without limitation):
- to verify your identity
- to provide programs to you, to manage and account for the programs provided and to improve those programs
- to report to government or other funding bodies how funding is used
- to process donations and provide receipts
- to manage our relationship with you
- to communicate with you about how your donation is used or to provide you with information about events, causes, programs, products or service that we believe may interest you
- to respond to your feedback or complaints
- to facilitate our international business operations
- to provide information to our third-party service providers in connection with any of the above.
Rafiki does not disclose personal information without your permission unless the disclosure is either:
- in accordance with this Privacy Statement or any agreement you enter into with us, or
- required or authorised by law, including without limitation the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act.
Some of your information may be transferred, stored, processed, used or disclosed overseas by Rafiki if our service providers are located overseas or if the information is required to be used or disclosed overseas for the purpose for which it was conveyed to Rafiki by you. Rafiki takes reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
Management and security of personal information
As a condition of employment, Rafiki staff are required to respect the confidentiality of information and the privacy of individuals. Rafiki will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information it collects, uses, retains or discloses is accurate, complete and up to date and is protected from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Contacting Rafiki regarding access and correction, and privacy complaints
An individual may:
- request access to and seek correction of their personal information held by Rafiki at any time
- make a complaint in relation to a breach of their privacy
- submit a query or concern about this Privacy Statement or Rafiki’s information handling processes.
This can be done by contacting Rafiki’s Privacy Officer in writing at email@example.com or c/o Rafiki Mwema, 1/144 River Street, Ballina, NSW, 2478, Australia.
You will be required to provide proof of identity in order to obtain access to your personal information. Rafiki aims to provide access to your personal information within 30 days of receipt of a valid request.
At all times, privacy complaints will be:
- treated seriously
- dealt with promptly
- dealt with in a confidential manner.
Rafiki’s Privacy Officer will commence an investigation into your complaint. You will be informed of the outcome of your complaint within a reasonable period of time following completion of the investigation.
To update us with your communications preferences, including electing NOT to receive further information from us, or instructing us NOT to disclose your personal information to other organisations for direct marketing purposes, please contact Sarah Rosborg at firstname.lastname@example.org . We can change the types of communications you receive or stop all communication from us. Please allow 28 days for your request to be processed and your preferences to take effect.
If we have contacted you by email, you can use the unsubscribe function in that email to notify us that you do not want to receive further information via that channel.